Sunday 20 May 2012

The Rock Jerusalem




Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem showing the walls of the old city through barbed wire.

I thought this photograph taken on my party cam a very poignant one, considering The Rocks religious importance to the world and the turbulence under which the people of Jerusalem live.

My understanding from the guide during my visit to Jerusalem is that this site has been vehemently fought over through the centuries, and according to Islamic tradition is where Mohammad ascended into heaven with the angel Gabriel!

It is also my understanding that Jews consider this as the holiest place on earth.

I loved my time in Jerusalem, especially it's history, the markets, bazaar's and their lovely felafel's.

http://www.markandrewridsdale.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment